As a mother, aunt, neighborhood mom, and friend to little ones, one thing that is most important to me is creating a space for children to feel safe and supported. I love a child’s inquisitive and curious nature, and I also love flipping the script and being curious too—asking questions and giving children the opportunity to share their knowledge, creativity and feelings.
Here are some of my favorite questions to ask:
- What is your favorite thing you did today?
- What is your super power?
- What have your friends been up to recently?
- If you opened a store, what would you sell?
- What would you hire me to do? Your brother?...
- What makes you feel loved?
- How do you show people you care?
- What worries you the most?
- What makes you feel better?
- What’s your favorite joke?
Ask the who’s, the what’s, the why’s and the how’s! You will not only be teaching a child the art of conversation, but also getting to peek inside a their world and mind.